Environment, health, safety and sustainability statement
At Allegion, we create peace of mind by pioneering safety and security – while also valuing a “Be safe, be healthy” mindset to positively impact our global environment, employees, customers and local community members.
In the last four years as a stand-alone company, Allegion has committed to conducting business in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. Our company regularly monitors its facilities and processes to comply with environmental standards and regulations. We advance sustainable business practices by setting strong safety standards and working to improve the environment, while operating in accordance with the following principles:
- Continual improvement in Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) performance, with the goals of reducing the usage of natural resources, minimizing waste, decreasing pollution and preventing workplace accidents and injuries;
- Periodic, formal evaluation of our EHS compliance;
- Integrity and personal accountability;
- Integration of sound environmental, health, safety and sustainability strategies into all business functions;
- Designing, operating and maintaining our facilities with the objective of minimizing negative environmental impacts;
- Responsible use of materials, including, where feasible, the recycling and reuse of materials; and
- Sensitivity to community concerns about environmental, health and safety issues.
The application of these principles has continued to positively impact Allegion’s safety and environmental performance. Safety and environmental kaizens are held to drive continuous improvement globally with a focus on identifying, eliminating and reducing hazards and waste. In 2017, we focused on sustainability, electrical safety, machine guarding and ergonomics. This resulted in year-over-year improvements including: A 42-percent improvement in the Lost Time Incident /Injury Rate; a 5-percent reduction in total waste to landfill; and a 2-percent increase in the amount of waste that we recycled. Additionally, no environmental notices of violation were issued to any Allegion operation in 2017.
We are proud the majority of our manufacturing facilities are registered to the ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards, and we will continue to educate the leadership of our new acquisitions with the intention to align with the ISO programs.
Allegion continues to offer environmentally friendly products to better support global sustainability objectives.
In an effort to better understand the impact of our products on the environment, we participate in numerous sustainability initiatives, including Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), The Living Building Challenge, and the Living Product Challenge.
In addition, we conduct Life Cycle Assessments and publish both Environmental and Chemical Declarations for select products.
Allegion values the importance of a safer and cleaner world. That’s why we are committed to being a responsible member of our global communities.
For more information on Allegion’s sustainability efforts, please review the following materials: